Loon is on a mission to connect people everywhere by inventing and integrating audacious technology. A network of balloons traveling on the edge of space, Loon combines advancements in materials science, atmospheric modeling, machine learning, and communications systems to expand connectivity to unserved and underserved areas around the world. Loon is one of the newest independent companies within Alphabet.
As a member of Loon’s Regulatory and Legal team, you will guide Loon’s spectrum and equipment licensing and approval efforts for Loon’s business units in support of Loon’s international growth strategy. Reporting to Loon’s Head of Regulatory Affairs, this is a highly visible position that will collaborate with internal stakeholders and business partners, as well as U.S. Federal and international governments. The successful candidate will develop and support Loon’s internal and external licensing and outreach strategy.
Based in Mountain View, California. Significant domestic and international travel expected (up to 50%).
- Advise Loon’s leadership, operational and engineering teams on the spectrum and equipment licensing requirements of their products and services.
- Work cross-functionally to help Loon obtain and maintain domestic and international regulatory approvals, and obtain and maintain the necessary government and regulatory approvals to operate. Act as external advocate and spokesperson with regulators, NGOs, industry, and third parties.
- Monitor and research current and relevant emerging regulatory issues, and work cross-functionally to develop regulatory positions for review by Loon’s regulatory, legal, and management teams.
- Liaise and collaborate with other Alphabet companies’ regulatory teams worldwide and provide the resources they need to explain our products and services to their constituents.
- Identify and pursue ways for Loon to address regulatory challenges and opportunities while also working with trade associations, industry partners, non-profit groups and other allies to promote and build support for Loon’s regulatory positions.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent; Juris Doctor/advanced degree preferred.
- Demonstrated interest and background in connectivity and spectrum initiatives and emerging technologies.
- 5-10 years of relevant experience working with or in a regulatory agency or government, as well as an ability to grasp and convey complex regulatory, technical and policy issues.
- Ability to lead and evaluate complex issues independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated experience successfully managing a team.
- Excellent personal, political, analytical, writing and communication skills and high attention to detail.
- Experience working closely with and advising Product, Engineering or Regulatory teams.
- Experience with telecommunications, global trade or connectivity projects.
- Ability to get things done in dynamic and ambiguous circumstances and exercise excellent judgment in a rapidly changing environment.
- Experience working with international teams and stakeholders, and successfully executing public policy strategies.
- Bilingual, English-Spanish, or any non-English literacy is a plus