Loon is on a mission to connect people everywhere by inventing and integrating audacious technology. A network of balloons traveling on the edge of space, Loon combines advancements in materials science, atmospheric modeling, machine learning, and communications systems to expand connectivity to unserved and underserved areas around the world. Loon is one of the newest independent companies within Alphabet.
Loon's software engineers develop the next-generation technologies that change how billions of users connect, explore, and interact with information and one another. Our products need to handle information at massive scale, and extend well beyond web search. We're looking for engineers who bring fresh ideas from all areas, including information retrieval, distributed computing, large-scale system design, networking and data storage, security, artificial intelligence, natural language processing, UI design and mobile; the list goes on and is growing every day. As a software engineer, you will work on a specific project critical to Google’s needs with opportunities to switch teams and projects as you and our fast-paced business grow and evolve. We need our engineers to be versatile, display leadership qualities and be enthusiastic to take on new problems across the full-stack as we continue to push technology forward.
- Develop simulation software to meet Loon's business and system engineering requirements.
- Design and configure large scale balloon fleet simulations.
- Improve the simulation software quality and performance on a continuous basis.
- Provide analytical insights on the results to guide business and system engineering directions.
- BS degree in Computer Science, similar technical field of study or equivalent practical experience.
- Software development experience in one or more general purpose programming languages.
- Experience working with two or more from the following: web application development, Unix/Linux environments, mobile application development, distributed and parallel systems, machine learning, information retrieval, natural language processing, networking, developing large software systems, and/or security software development.
- Working proficiency and communication skills in verbal and written English.
- Master’s, PhD degree, further education or experience in engineering, computer science or other technical related field.
- Experience developing accessible technologies.
- Interest and ability to learn other coding languages as needed.