Loon is on a mission to connect people everywhere by inventing and integrating audacious technology. A network of balloons traveling on the edge of space, Loon combines advancements in materials science, atmospheric modeling, machine learning, and communications systems to expand connectivity to unserved and underserved areas around the world. Loon is one of the newest independent companies within Alphabet.
Using high altitude platforms to support communications payloads presents unique structural dynamics challenges. Designing lightweight stable platforms that sustain movement, rotation, vibration, and extreme thermal environments requires a particular skillset. This person will be a key engineer within the Loon Mechanical Engineering department; they will contribute to the development of structures for stratospheric vehicles, own the technical solutions to structural dynamics problems on those vehicles, and collaborate extensively with design engineers and mechanical analysts. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter that thrives on design freedom, is comfortable with ambiguity, and enjoys conceptualizing, designing, prototyping, and testing hardware with a small dynamic team.
- Design lightweight aerospace structures
- Lead the technical solution to new and novel motion dynamics challenges across a variety of platforms ranging from communications payloads to multi-body dynamics on complete vehicles
- Construct analytical models and correlate them with real-world testing, including design, set up, and execution of tests
- Work with mechanical designers to create new solutions
- MS in Mechanical Engineering and 8 years of experience in a related industry, or BS in Mechanical Engineering and 10 years of experience in a related industry
- Experience with rigid and flexible body dynamics and control systems interaction, including vibration mitigation mechanism design and analysis
- 2-5 years experience as a technical/project lead
- Experience with Solidworks and Matlab / Simulink
- Conversant in a variety of Mechanical Engineering disciplines, including thermodynamics & heat transfer, mechanism design, and computer-aided engineering; 5-8 years experience and depth in one or more of the above-mentioned disciplines
- Experience in design and analysis for extreme thermal environments (extreme cold or extreme heat)
- Experience with MSC Adams or Simpack
- Experience with a variety of materials and manufacturing processes (e.g. injection molding, composite lamination, 3D printing, bonded and mechanical joints, etc.)
- Experience with the static, dynamic, and thermal testing of metallic and composite structures
- Desire to contribute to positive team culture, make work a fun, collaborative environment with high standards of execution