Loon is on a mission to connect people everywhere by inventing and integrating audacious technology. A network of balloons traveling on the edge of space, Loon combines advancements in materials science, atmospheric modeling, machine learning, and communications systems to expand connectivity to unserved and underserved areas around the world. Loon is one of the newest independent companies within Alphabet.
The Loon Legal team combines a passion for technology with a deep understanding of the law to support the businesses of Loon. We counsel clients on issues that may arise in commercial deals, product launches, or other legal contexts and also develop and execute strategies for intellectual property portfolios.
We’re looking for a J.D. (Juris Doctorate) candidate who would have completed at least one year of law school before starting the internship. Intern candidates should have a passion for (and preferably a background and/or demonstrated interest in) technology, be self starters who have at least a basic understanding of intellectual property and contracts, and an interest in learning more about how a global organization applies law and regulation to support its business.
Intern candidate should have sufficient legal background to do legal research as needed. They should have sufficient technical know-how and a strong ability to quickly come up to speed on new technologies so as to participate in intellectual property and business strategy discussions, and otherwise engage with issues at the boundary of technology, regulation and law.
Intern candidate should be comfortable working with legal team members, engineers, and management. They will likely be asked to present complicated concepts with clarity and need to be able to explain legal concepts in plain terms. They may be asked to review workflows for the legal and regulatory teams and make policy, operational and process suggestions. They should be comfortable working in or learning to use Google docs, spreadsheets, and other internal tools.
- Develop intellectual property strategies for Loon systems
- Review and advise on legal risks in commercial and partnership deals, collaborations, and other agreements, shadow and learn from more senior team members in negotiations and agreement drafting.
- Perform legal research on laws and regulations in the United States and other jurisdictions worldwide.
- J.D. (Juris Doctorate) candidate at an American Bar Association-accredited law school
- Passion for technology
- Excellent academic record and communication skills
- Some knowledge of intellectual property, Privacy or Commercial law
- Ability to thrive in a collaborative, team-oriented environment