Loon is on a mission to connect people everywhere by inventing and integrating audacious technology. A network of balloons traveling on the edge of space, Loon combines advancements in materials science, atmospheric modeling, machine learning, and communications systems to expand connectivity to unserved and underserved areas around the world. Loon is one of the newest independent companies within Alphabet.
Loon is looking for a Group Manager to advance a fully integrated marketing, communications and user experience strategy for Loon. In this role, you will connect the dots across critical customer and user touch points, shape strategy and roadmap by core insights, and tell the story of Loon’s progress and future vision to a diverse set of stakeholders including customers, governments, industry organizations, general public and media.
We are looking for someone who is passionate about bringing highly innovative technologies and services to the market, and creating new categories in the context of complex regulatory environment and traditionally structured industries.
We are looking for a proven track record of building credible brands starting from scratch or from a challenging position, inspiring decision-makers across businesses, government agencies and industry bodies, and managing the growth of a team that values high-performance, creativity, respect, diversity and inclusion.
- Lead an existing team of strong, highly motivated direct reports; set the team up for success and further growth. Provide direction aligned with Loon strategy, prioritize team goals and workload while managing competing interests and priorities effectively and independently. Foster Loon’s culture of high-performance, respect, diversity and inclusion;
- Inspire and enable the creation of an integrated strategy across marketing, communications and user experience for Loon. Oversee effective plans to bring the strategy to life, including core messaging, visual design, inspiring initiatives and assets that excite potential partners, educate regulators and government officials, and engage communities around the world. Maintain consistency across all external touch points;
- Evolve Loon brand architecture and positioning to enable Loon’s bold vision of building global ecosystems, platforms and applications harnessing the stratosphere in the short, medium and long term. Steer and strengthen Loon’s brand and reputation. Design impactful value propositions and ensure all Loon communications effectively capture the desired voice and drive brand equity. Inspire creative output across teams;
- Oversee the design and execution of communications and public relations strategies to explain Loon’s unique value and role within the complex connectivity and stratospheric ecosystems; Represent Loon in front of senior external audiences and media;
- Guide strategic research to generate insights covering the industry, customers and users, generate and propagate insights that help define Loon business strategy and product portfolio. Ensure voice of the user is consistently heard and incorporated into the thinking of the whole organization, all the way to the CEO;
- Guide UX research processes and collaboration with leaders of Product and Engineering teams to design innovative experiences that deliver true value for customers and users, across all products.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent and 10+ years combined experience in B2B marketing, communications and UX, in the technology, telecommunications and/or aerospace industries;
- Proven track record in turning early concepts and significant technological, market and regulatory complexities into a success story.
- Proven track record in building and evolving high-performing, diverse teams across a variety of disciplines, with the ability to thrive in an ambiguous, dynamic and resource-constrained environments;
- Outstanding communication skills across a range of channels and mediums, demonstrated experience planning, writing, and producing communications and marketing plans and materials.
- MBA degree or equivalent and 15+ years combined experience in B2B marketing, communications and UX, in the technology, telecommunications and/or aerospace industries;
- A strategic leader who crafts a strong vision for their team, as well as gets things done, and can be scrappy and hands-on. Demonstrated analytical skills and proven track record of successfully developing strategy, business plans, customer and market insights;
- Sought-after speaker and thought leader on telecommunications and/or aerospace industries and/or regulatory arenas;
- Experience bringing connectivity to international markets through effective go-to-market and communications strategies, including regulatory messaging frameworks;
- Experience marketing and/or commercializing software platforms toward aerospace clients.