Loon is on a mission to connect people everywhere by inventing and integrating audacious technology. Loon is built on a sophisticated system of products and services that combine advancements in materials science, atmospheric modeling, machine learning, and communications systems. These platforms enable Loon to harness the stratosphere, transforming global connectivity and creating endless possibilities for new applications by bridging ground, sky and space.
Loon is looking for an MBA Intern to join the User Experience Research and Design team to work on the next-generation technologies that change how the next billion users will connect and interact with information and one another.
As a Research Intern, you'll have the opportunity to conduct and support research activities in developing innovative and user-focused products. We are looking for individuals who have excellent communication skills, are diligent and detail-oriented. You are expected to work independently on fairly complex projects but you will work with a Senior Researcher and a Senior Designer and receive guidance from them. The Loon User Experience Research and Design team supports across the Loon portfolio, with an emphasis on early-stage efforts.
*To be eligible for Loon's Intern/Co-op Program, you must currently be pursuing a Bachelor’s, Master’s/MBA, or PhD degree with at least one remaining quarter or semester after completing your Internship or Co-op program in 2020.
- Plan: Translate business/product questions into research questions, identify the right research method and come up with a plan considering the business goals and time and resources needed for research.
- Execute: Conduct strategic, design and evaluative research to uncover user needs and identify new opportunities. The methods will vary based on the question we are trying to answer and involve desk research, competitive analysis, expert interviews, basic quantitative surveys and concept testing.
- Analyze: Analyze and interpret qualitative and basic quantitative data and come up with insights about user goals, needs and pain points. Transform research findings into recommendations for the design and product management teams to create minimum-viable products, a better user experience and a more successful business.
- Currently enrolled in an MBA or M.A./M.S./Ph.D in Human Factors, Psychology, HCI/Computer Science, or other field emphasizing human behavior and experimental research or equivalent practical experience
- At least 3 years of experience in an applied research setting with strong understanding of strengths and shortcomings of different research methods, including when and how to apply them during each product phase.
- Familiar with UX Design process or working with Design and Engineering teams
- Strong interest in technology and ability to understand and integrate technical and business aspects into research
- Experience working on B2B and enterprise customers