Loon is on a mission to connect people everywhere by inventing and integrating audacious technology. Loon is built on a sophisticated system of products and services that combine advancements in materials science, atmospheric modeling, machine learning, and communications systems. These platforms enable Loon to harness the stratosphere, transforming global connectivity and creating endless possibilities for new applications by bridging ground, sky and space.
Loon’s software enables a new layer of communications platforms, in the stratosphere, to operate in heterogeneous networks that span land, sea, air, and space. These networks employ highly-directional, steerable RF and optical beams to internetwork with each other. Maintaining end-to-end connectivity requires a centralized controller to orchestrate link, channel, and routing changes that occur while everything is moving around the somewhat predictable changes to geometric constraints and atmospheric weather. Loon’s network orchestration platform is designed to support both High-Altitude Pseudo-Satellite (HAPS) as well as Non-Geostationary Orbiting (NGSO) satellite constellations
- Collaborate with engineering, design, and product teams as well as external stakeholders to hone product requirements for the network operator web interface of our cloud-based network orchestration platform
- Design and implement APIs and services which integrate high-volume, time-varying data
- Design and implement high performance, real time, mission critical web browser client UIs for Loon and our external partners.
- Work with the operations and production teams to ensure our software systems enable Loon to achieve our mission to Connect People Everywhere.
- Minimum of four years of software design and implementation experience with both server and client aspects of frontend development, preferably for distributed systems generating large volumes of time-varying data.
- Strong analytical and communication skills with an ability to bridge disciplines like design and engineering.
- API and library design for web applications.
- Comfortable with the tools and processes to build, test, deploy, update, and debug frontend services
- Experience with data visualization and mapping.
- Two years of experience building externally facing production frontend services internally at Alphabet.
- Experience with security best practices, OnePlatform, and AAA for external users and third party systems.
- Experience with or interest in aerospace systems including communications satellites.
- Experience with or interest in networking, including wireless communications and software defined networks.
- Experience with or interest in real time flight and network operations.