Loon is on a mission to connect people everywhere by inventing and integrating audacious technology. Loon is built on a sophisticated system of products and services that combine advancements in materials science, atmospheric modeling, machine learning, and communications systems. These platforms enable Loon to harness the stratosphere, transforming global connectivity and creating endless possibilities for new applications by bridging ground, sky and space.
Avionics Team Overview
The Avionics Team at Loon is responsible for delivering a hardware and firmware solution for the bus & payload portion of the flight system. This involves 25+ embedded nodes that make up systems for satellite communication, altitude control (balloon steering), power collection, storage, distribution, and more. The Avionics Team has both electrical hardware and firmware engineers, and works closely together to deliver new and updated electronics and firmware.
You will be responsible for managing the team’s execution on projects, as well as helping set and manage priorities, schedules, and budget. The team will be guided at a high level by hardware and firmware technical experts, so expertise in both are not essential, but experience and a solid understanding are required to be effective in this role. In addition to these responsibilities, this role will also be expected to have some level of individual contribution to the team’s software and firmware.
- Own the schedule, execution, and budget for current projects and work with other sub-teams on Loon to ensure work is aligned and status is known
- Collaborate closely with other teams like mechanical engineering, supply chain, flight engineering, and launch site
- Coordinate with external vendors and assist in procurement of prototype hardware
- Contribute to teams C++ and Python codebase to assist in bug fixes and minor feature development
- BS degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or similar technical field of study or equivalent practical experience
- Experience creating and maintaining accurate schedules, as well as coordinating software releases
- Experience either performing or managing both electrical engineering and firmware engineering, preferably in an embedded application
- Experience with taking a product from initial design to production, including device bring-up, design for testability, testing, and production monitoring
- 2+ years of recent management experience with a team size of at least 4 people
- Excellent teamwork and communication skills
- Experience with embedded C/C++, real time operating systems, Python, and Protobuf
- Experience with schematic capture & layout, preferably in Altium Designer
- Familiarity with embedded hardware & schematics, as well as communication protocols like Ethernet, CAN, I2C, and SPI