Loon is on a mission to connect people everywhere by inventing and integrating audacious technology. Loon is built on a sophisticated system of products and services that combine advancements in materials science, atmospheric modeling, machine learning, and communications systems. These platforms enable Loon to harness the stratosphere, transforming global connectivity and creating endless possibilities for new applications by bridging ground, sky and space.
Loon’s Counsel role is based in Mountain View. In this high-impact and visible role, you will be responsible for developing and executing on legal initiatives to expand Loon’s mission and propel the business forward. Loon is a unique project, so each day will unearth interesting challenges. Working alongside a stellar group of teammates in policy, engineering, operations, product, and business development, you’ll have the opportunity to learn new things and deliver on the ambitious goal of global access.
Loon’s Counsel will work on varied and exciting issues that require creative, thoughtful and proactive legal guidance. You will be part of an adaptable, dynamic and passionate group of in-house lawyers, and the projects you take on will challenge you to think big and differently. You are collaborative, customer-service focused, comfortable taking initiative and enthusiastic - ready to dive in and partner on initiatives that influence all aspects of the business and work with teams from all over the company.
- Engage and advise on a wide and varied range of product-related legal matters, including product development, services, manufacturing, operations, inbound services, and inbound licensing. Advise on strategic deals and draft, review and negotiate corresponding agreements.
- Partner with human resources on employment law and cross-functionally on corporate governance and finance related matters.
- Respond promptly and partner with teams across the business including Engineering, Operations, Business Development, Finance, Marketing/Communications, and Human Resources.
- Work with and provide actionable advice to business executives and other internal stakeholders on a broad range of complex legal, business and strategic issues as they arise in a fast-paced, rapidly-changing environment.
- Research novel legal issues, draft and update contract templates, policies, playbooks and lead other projects as needed.
- JD or equivalent, admitted to the CA Bar or registered in-house counsel with 6+ years of relevant product or commercial law firm and/or in-house experience.
- Dedicated to providing top-notch customer service, possessing excellent judgment and ability to prioritize and manage business expectations in a fast-paced environment. Fast learning, technologically-adept self-starter with an outstanding record and demonstrated ability to tackle novel problems and work with minimal supervision.
- Team player with outstanding interpersonal skills, a sense of humor and a desire to be a contributing member of a fun and supportive team.
- Excellent analytical skills and demonstrated ability to manage several simultaneous projects under deadline pressure.
- Experience advising product, manufacturing, operations and/or engineering teams on issues relating to the development of emerging technology, hardware and software products and services.
- Experience negotiating agreements with vendors and partners internationally in fast-paced environments and with shifting priorities.
- Experience developing strategies and providing thought leadership to tackle novel multi-jurisdictional legal matters through working with cross-functional groups.
- Experience developing legal positions to advance business needs and providing advice and recommendations on complex strategic issues that have or may have a significant impact on business activities and operations.