Loon is on a mission to connect people everywhere by inventing and integrating audacious technology. Loon is built on a sophisticated system of products and services that combine advancements in materials science, atmospheric modeling, machine learning, and communications systems. These platforms enable Loon to harness the stratosphere, transforming global connectivity and creating endless possibilities for new applications by bridging ground, sky and space.
As a Legal Operations on a small but growing legal team, you will be central to the management of Loon’s legal team and a critical part of the team’s success. You are the legal operations jack-of-all trades who will manage all legal operations including patent & trademark portfolio operations and NDA negotiations. You will create, implement, improve and run the processes and tools that support our legal team and also maintain records, conduct legal and market research and coordinate communications between the legal team and Loon organization. We are looking for an independent thinker who isn't afraid to ask questions, a do-it-yourselfer who is organized in a way that never overlooks the details.
Loon’s Legal Operations lead will keep costs down, engage third-party vendors and make the Legal team's services better, faster and more efficient. Our ideal candidate is collaborative, customer-service focused, comfortable taking initiative and enthusiastic - ready to dive in and partner on initiatives that influence all aspects of the business and work with teams from all over the company.
Loon is a unique project, so each day will unearth interesting challenges. Working alongside a stellar group of teammates in policy, engineering, operations, product, and business development, you’ll have the opportunity to learn new things and deliver on the ambitious goal of global access.
- Drive the identification, evaluation and implementation of areas of process efficiency improvement, design and implement practical processes for the team through cross-functional collaboration and engagement.
- Provide guidance on and manage the team’s technology and systems, to improve team efficiency and effectiveness; identify and scope needs, manage design, rollout and training for new technology tools and systems.
- Review and analyze documents (ex. invoices and agreements) for compliance with guidelines.
- Assist with entity management and corporate governance tasks.
- Identify, track and report on key operational and substantive metrics for the group that will better inform decision-making, including matter and work product analyses, including managing the gathering, analysis, and presentation of data to show how the team spends its time.
- Develop and maintain tools and processes to identify, engage and oversee outside counsel, manage and troubleshoot firm billing while developing appropriate guidelines.
- Review and negotiate non-disclosure agreements.
- Assist with special projects and analysis as required.
Patents & Trademarks Responsibilities
- Work with inside and outside counsel to support patent and trademark filings and portfolio management.
- Update and maintain internal databases and legal/patent management systems.
- Generate reports and analyze data to support portfolio development efforts.
- Perform a full range of patent and trademark paralegal and operations tasks.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience working with spreadsheets and data analysis.
- Ability to analyze data and create succinct presentations tailored to the audience at hand; attention to detail with excellent time management and multitasking/prioritization abilities.
- Experience with patent and trademark management/docketing tools as well as legal billing tools.
- Experience in using technology and the Internet to improve work efficiency.
- Motivated and professional individual with excellent judgment, communication and interpersonal skills with an ability to be flexible and self-directed in a fast paced environment.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate cross-functionally while managing multiple projects simultaneously.